Nardini: Complete Music for 2 Violins Igor Ruhadze & Daria Gorban, Ensemble Violini Capricciosi
Label: Brilliant Classics
Subgenre: Chamber Music
Interpret: Igor Ruhadze & Daria Gorban, Ensemble Violini Capricciosi
Komponist: Pietro Nardini (1722-1793)
Das Album enthält Albumcover Booklet (PDF)
- Pietro Nardini (1722 - 1793): Violin Sonata No. 1 in G Major:
- 1Nardini: Violin Sonata No. 1 in G Major: I. Andante04:33
- 2Nardini: Violin Sonata No. 1 in G Major: II. Allegro05:40
- 3Nardini: Violin Sonata No. 1 in G Major: III. Allegro03:16
- Violin Sonata No. 2 in C Major:
- 4Nardini: Violin Sonata No. 2 in C Major: I. Adagio ma non troppo03:25
- 5Nardini: Violin Sonata No. 2 in C Major: II. Allegro05:20
- 6Nardini: Violin Sonata No. 2 in C Major: III. Allegro03:06
- Violin Sonata No. 3 in D Major:
- 7Nardini: Violin Sonata No. 3 in D Major: I. Andante02:46
- 8Nardini: Violin Sonata No. 3 in D Major: II. Allegro05:58
- 9Nardini: Violin Sonata No. 3 in D Major: III. Allegro moderato03:39
- Violin Sonata No. 4 in F Major:
- 10Nardini: Violin Sonata No. 4 in F Major: I. Andante02:22
- 11Nardini: Violin Sonata No. 4 in F Major: II. Allegro05:52
- 12Nardini: Violin Sonata No. 4 in F Major: III. Allegro04:23
- Violin Sonata No. 5 in B-Flat Major:
- 13Nardini: Violin Sonata No. 5 in B-Flat Major: I. Allegro10:02
- 14Nardini: Violin Sonata No. 5 in B-Flat Major: II. Andante03:39
- 15Nardini: Violin Sonata No. 5 in B-Flat Major: III. Allegro02:54
- Violin Sonata No. 6 in E Minor:
- 16Nardini: Violin Sonata No. 6 in E Minor: I. Allegro08:47
- 17Nardini: Violin Sonata No. 6 in E Minor: II. Andante04:22
- 18Nardini: Violin Sonata No. 6 in E Minor: III. Allegro03:59
- Violin Sonata in A Major:
- 19Nardini: Violin Sonata in A Major: I. Allegro07:08
- 20Nardini: Violin Sonata in A Major: II. Andante02:52
- 21Nardini: Violin Sonata in A Major: III. Allegro02:18
- Minuet No. 1 in D Major:
- 22Nardini: Minuet No. 1 in D Major01:29
- Minuet No. 2 in A Major:
- 23Nardini: Minuet No. 2 in A Major01:55
- Minuet No. 3 in D Major:
- 24Nardini: Minuet No. 3 in D Major01:16
- Minuet No. 4 in D Major:
- 25Nardini: Minuet No. 4 in D Major00:53
- Minuet No. 5 in G Major:
- 26Nardini: Minuet No. 5 in G Major02:21
- Minuet No. 6 in D Major:
- 27Nardini: Minuet No. 6 in D Major02:01
- Minuet No. 7 in C Major:
- 28Nardini: Minuet No. 7 in C Major01:57
- Minuet No. 8 in F Major:
- 29Nardini: Minuet No. 8 in F Major02:54
- Minuet No. 9 in D Major:
- 30Nardini: Minuet No. 9 in D Major01:39
- Minuet No. 10 in D Major:
- 31Nardini: Minuet No. 10 in D Major00:59
- Minuet No. 11 in D Major:
- 32Nardini: Minuet No. 11 in D Major01:28
- Minuet No. 12 in G Major:
- 33Nardini: Minuet No. 12 in G Major01:30
- Minuet No. 13 in G Major:
- 34Nardini: Minuet No. 13 in G Major02:10
- Minuet No. 14 in G Major:
- 35Nardini: Minuet No. 14 in G Major01:54
- Duet No. 1 in D Major:
- 36Nardini: Duet No. 1 in D Major: I. Andante04:16
- 37Nardini: Duet No. 1 in D Major: II. Allegro02:34
- Duet No. 5 in G Major:
- 38Nardini: Duet No. 5 in G Major: I. Allegro03:23
- 39Nardini: Duet No. 5 in G Major: II. Largo03:47
- 40Nardini: Duet No. 5 in G Major: III. Allegro02:16
- Duet No. 2 in E-Flat Major:
- 41Nardini: Duet No. 2 in E-Flat Major: I. Andante08:06
- 42Nardini: Duet No. 2 in E-Flat Major: II. Allegro03:17
- Duet No. 3 in D Major:
- 43Nardini: Duet No. 3 in D Major: I. Vivace (Coturnix - la Caille, Luscina - le Rossignol)04:49
- 44Nardini: Duet No. 3 in D Major: II. Adagio (La grenouille - La Rana)05:01
- 45Nardini: Duet No. 3 in D Major: III. Presto (Gallina - La Poule)03:23
- Duet No. 4 in F Major:
- 46Nardini: Duet No. 4 in F Major: I. Largetto10:04
- 47Nardini: Duet No. 4 in F Major: II. Spirituoso07:48
- 48Nardini: Duet No. 4 in F Major: III. La caccia03:24
- Duet No. 6 in B-Flat Major:
- 49Nardini: Duet No. 6 in B-Flat Major: I. Allegretto06:47
- 50Nardini: Duet No. 6 in B-Flat Major: II. Largo assai12:42
- 51Nardini: Duet No. 6 in B-Flat Major: III. Allegro03:03
- Duet for 2 Violins 'Romance':
- 52Nardini: Duet for 2 Violins 'Romance'02:17
Info zu Nardini: Complete Music for 2 Violins
A feast of first recordings to celebrate the art of one of the greatest violinist-composers in 18th-century Europe.
‘I have heard a certain Nardini, Leopold Mozart once wrote, ‘and regarding beauty, purity, and equality of tone and in the singing taste nothing more beautiful can be heard.’ The inveterate traveller and collector of culture Charles Burney was no less certain in his judgment of Nardini: ‘he seems the completest player on the violin in all Italy; and, according to my feelings and judgment, his style is delicate, judicious, and highly finished.’
We may judge for ourselves through the medium of his works, presented here in superbly stylish new recordings by a Dutch-based period ensemble with a track record of success in reviving lesser- known names from the golden age of the Baroque violin. Modern luminaries of the violin including Grumiaux, Milstein and Ricci used to perform Nardini’s ‘Sonata in D’, and modern-Baroque virtuosos such as Giovanni Guglielmo and Giuseppe Carmignola have recorded his ornately wrought concertos, but this is the most comprehensive collection ever made of the composer’s chamber-music output.
To begin with, there are the Six Sonatas for two German Flutes or two Violins and a Bass, published in London in 1768. The Six duos pour deux violons, published in Paris around 1765, are very similar to the trio sonatas, but they feature typical violin idioms such as double stops and the use of lower notes than the flute would allow. The third of them brings a lively sequence of bird and animal sounds, from the cuckoo to the frog. The 14 New Italian Minuets for two Violins and a Bass, published in London around 1760, are short, unpretentious pieces, but skilfully composed and a joy to listen to.
Born into a humble family in 18th-century Italy, Pietro Nardini’s (1722-1793) talent for violin playing led him to Livorno to study with the celebrated Giuseppe Tartini, where he reportedly became as good a violinist as his teacher. He travelled throughout Europe and was resident musician at several of its major courts – notably Tuscany, where he was Director of Music at the court of Grand Duke Leopold in Florence and worked there until his death. Such was his reputation as an extraordinarily expressive technician that he was asked to play in the presence of King Ferdinand IV and Queen Maria Carolina in Naples as well as Wolfgang and Leopold Mozart. Nardini left behind an extensive musical oeuvre, largely focused on the violin. All genres in which the violin plays an important role are represented in it. His style follows that of his time: melodious, uncomplicated and intended to be enjoyed by the listener.
This new recording presents the complete works for two violins, with and without Basso Continuo, music of great charm, beauty and instrumental warmth.
Igor Ruhadze’s Brilliant Classics recording of sonatas by Locatelli (94736) won warm praise from Gramophone. ‘The playing is elegantly supple, the string tone warm, and the architecture of individual movements thoughtfully worked out. All this makes for a pleasant mood and enjoyable listening. The more exuberant pieces are brilliantly and at times breathtakingly performed.’ Fanfare extended an equally enthusiastic welcome to Ruhadze’s album of concertos by Jean-Marie Leclair (95290): ‘The playing… is really top-notch… the group’s robust sound belies its small numbers… it’s hard to argue with playing as good as this.’ On this recording he plays with Daria Gorban (baroque violin), Jacopo Ristori (baroque cello) and Anastasiya Akinfina (harpsichord).
Nardini's Duets for Two unaccompanied Violins as well as his trio sonatas recorded by Igor Ruhadze & Daria Gorban are a perfect sense of architecture where the two instruments frequently exchange roles. The Duo Ruhadze /Gorban shares many years of successful working together. Daria Gorban graduated from two conservatories; at the Moscow State Conservatory as a solo violinist and at the Amsterdam Conservatory as a specialist in baroque and classical violin. Daria has recorded numerous CDs and DVDs with various chamber music groups and orchestras. She has made all complete recordings with Igor Ruhadze and Ensemble Violini Capricciosi as the 2d solo violinist and the concertmaster: Locatelli trio sonatas, violin concertos, and concerti grossi, as well as Leclair's complete violin concertos.
Igor Ruhadze, baroque violin
Daria Gorban, baroque violin
Ensemble Violini Capricciosi
began his career as a solo violinist at the age of 12, performing Vieuxtemps Concerto No.5 with the Odessa Symphony Orchestra. Igor has won prizes in several international violin competitions, notably receiving 1st prize in the Taneyev Internațional chamber-music competition (Kaluga-Moscow 1996) and the top prize in the International Locatelli competition (Amsterdam 1997).
As a soloist, he successfully combines historical performance with a wide range of contemporary repertoire. He graduated from Central Music School in Moscow, and later on graduated with honours from the Moscow State Conservatory. In 2002, Igor graduated with honours from the Amsterdam Conservatory as a specialist in early music.
Igor Ruhadze performs in many European countries, and tours around the world as a soloist performing violin repertoire from the Renaissance to modern music. He regularly appears at festivals giving solo recitals, such as a Tartini program for unaccompanied violin (Flanders Festival), and the "Russian Tartini - Handochkine" (New York).
Igor leads different orchestras both as a soloist and as a concertmaster in programs from Bach to Faure and Tchaikovsky. Igor also recorded a Dutch version of the Matthew Passion by J.S. Bach (CD and DVD). He also took part in the Dutch film "Erbarme Dich" directed by Ramon Geeling.
Igor performs chamber music with many different groups, leading his own group "Ensemble Violini Capricciosi".
Igor Ruhadze has recorded a vast number of CDs and DVDs with various labels. His regular collaboration with Brilliant Classics has yielded several successful projects, particularly the unique Complete Locatelli Edition on 21 CDs which received many excellent reviews. His latest Biber Complete Violin Sonatas also won critical acclaim. In January 2020, the Complete Violin Concertos by J.M.Leclair was successfully released. In his latest Brilliant Classics album (2022), Igor and harpsichordist Alexandra Nepomnyashchaya turned to another pivotal figure in Baroque violin culture, Francesco Geminiani. This has already received warm praise. Igor Ruhadze plays on a violin by Jacobs, Amsterdam 1693, courtesy of the Nationaal Muziekinstrumenten Fonds.
has been one of the leading musicians of the ensemble Violini Capricciosi for many years. In 2007, she founded the ensemble Violini Capricciosi and the Violini Capricciosi Foundation with Igor Ruhadze. Daria is now a violinist with, and director of, the ensemble. Having stepped down from the foundation's board, she now works there as general director.
Daria Gorban graduated from two conservatories; from the Moscow State Conservatory as a solo violinist and from the Conservatory of Amsterdam as a specialist in baroque and classical violin. Daria has lived in the Netherlands since 2005.Daria always wanted to play the violin, and for good reason because as a child she won first prize in the Young Talent Competition in the USSR, as well as third prize in The Russian Heritage Competition. Later in life she also won several other violin competitions.For several years Daria received grants from The Russian Heritage Foundation. She traveled extensively, performing all over Europe and performing at festivals in Austria, Germany, the Netherlands, Finland and, of course, Russia. Thus she had the opportunity to play with several renowned musicians and ensembles: van Swieten Society, ensemble Violini Capricciosi, Concerto Moscow, Pocket Symphony, Music ad Rhenum, The Apollo Ensemble, La Primavera, Florilegium and The Northern Consort.
Starting in 2007, Daria was the second concertmaster of The Bach Orchestra of the Netherlands for 13 years. With this she has made many live recordings on both CD and DVD, the best known of which is of course Ramón Gieling's famous film "Erbarme Dich".She has also recorded numerous CDs with various chamber music groups.Daria has made several complete recordings: Locatelli trio sonatas 2CDs (as 2d violin solo), violin concertos 5CDs (as concertmaster of the orchestra), and Concerto grosso 6 CDs (as 2d violin solo). The compilation box with 21 CDs has received fantastic reviews.The CD released in January 2020 contains Leclair's complete violin concertos. Daria plays here as concertmaster of the Ensemble Violini Capricciosi, recorded with the soloist - violinist Igor Ruhadze.In 2021-22 Daria recorded several duo CDs together with Igor Ruhadze. These will be released in 2023. Daria Gorban plays on a violin by David Tecchler, Amsterdam 1705, courtesy of the National Musical Instruments Fund.