The Original Laurel & Hardy Piano Music Alessandro Simonetto
- 1All Together / The Moon and You / Gangway Charlie (From "Looser Than Loose")04:27
- 2Bassooning / Riding Along / Beer Barons / Good Old Days / Excitement (From "Pardon Us")03:46
- 3Ah 'Tis Love, Dear with Me (From "Doctor's Orders")03:20
- 4On to the Snow / In My Canoe / Going Places / Confusion (From "Be Big!")04:07
- 5Gardein Gaieties / Winding Path / Miss Crabtree / By Rote (From "Teacher's Pet")03:15
- 6Beautiful Lady / Intermezzo / Cops / Fliver Flops (From "Another Fine Mess")03:08
- 7Bells / Drunk / Rocking Chair (From "Scram")01:48
- 8Untitled Effect / Candy Candy / Little Dancing Girl (From "Bargain Day")02:54
- 9Here Are the Pets / Nothing at All / You Are the One I Love (From "Chickens Come Home")04:15
- 10If It Were Only True / The One I Love Best / Little Dancing Girl (From "Girl Shock")03:39
- 11Why the Old Flirt / Untitled Effect / Untitled Piece (From "Helping Grandma")02:18
- 12Snowing, Pt. 1 / Dog Song / Snowing, Pt. 2 / Funeral March (From "Laughing Gravy")05:09
- 13Tango / Just a Melody Sweet / There'll Always...04:52
- 14Seasons / Beyond the Rainbow / Love Is Everything to Me04:27
- 15Mys-tee-ree / Colonial Gaieties03:50
- 16We Are Just an Happy Family / Valse / On a Sunny Afternoon (From "Our Relations")05:29
Info for The Original Laurel & Hardy Piano Music
This album recreates the atmosphere and feeling of the 1930s comedies from the Hal Roach Studios, the 'Lot of Fun' where Laurel & Hardy, Our Gang, Charley Chase, The Boy Friends and Thelma Todd created their biggest successes. These short films were usually enlivened by the catchy background tunes composed by LeRoy Shield (1893-1962). Although the titles of these tunes remained known only to insiders, the music is all too familiar to anyone who ever saw Stan and Ollie embark on one of their doomed journeys.
Trained as a classical pianist, Shield eased into the new medium of film music with apparent ease and knocked off dozens of short, catchy background tunes in record time. It is not funny "comedy music" in itself; rather, it ranges from slow, sentimental ballads to uptempo dance numbers. Sometimes, there are echoes of Stravinsky, Satie and Casella!
Tracking down original sheet music took years of detective work. For the first time in history, this cd contains renditions of original piano music and original piano transcriptions made by Shield himself - written before the orchestral versions were recorded - of tunes such as 'All Together', 'Little Dancing Girl', 'Gangway Charlie', 'Riding Along', and 'The Moon and You'. It also contains piano transcriptions of Shield's background tunes from 1930-31 as originally published as loose-leaf sheet music: 'Bells', 'You Are The One I Love', 'In My Canoe', 'On to the Show', 'Riding Along' and 'Good Old Days'.
Originally published in 1931 but impossible to find today, the "LeRoy Shield Song Album" is a collection of ten popular film background tunes transcribed for piano: 'Prelude', 'Bride's Song', 'Here We Go', 'Look at Him Now', 'Cascadia', 'Dash and Dot', 'Let's Go', 'Antics', 'Give Us a Hand' and 'It Is to Laugh'.
The album also contains in first world release the reconstruction of the piece 'Snowing', written appositely for the film Laughing Gravy; and the complete set of effects and short melodies named as 'Goofs', including some unheard and not known pieces.
Alessandro Simonetto, piano
No biography found.
This album contains no booklet.