Nelson Freire plays Saint-Saëns' Piano Concerto No. 2 and Piano Works by Grieg & Liszt (Remastered) Nelson Freire, Radio-Symphonie-Orchester Berlin & Ádám Fischer
- Camille Saint-Saëns (1835-1921): Piano Concerto No. 2 in G Minor, Op. 22: (Live):
- 1I. Andante sostenuto 11:12
- 2II. Allegro scherzando 05:42
- 3III. Presto 06:12
- Edvard Grieg (1843-1907): Lyric Pieces, Op. 43:
- 4No. 2, Ensom Vandrer (Solitary Traveler)01:42
- 5No. 4, Liden Fugl (Little Bird)01:37
- 6No. 5, Folkevise (Folk Song)01:28
- 7No. 6, Norsk (Norwegian)00:54
- 8No. 1, Gjætergut (Shepherd's Boy)03:58
- Franz Liszt (1811-1886):
- 9Hungarian Rhapsody No. 5 in E Minor "Heroide-Elégiaque", S. 244/508:23
- 10Hungarian Rhapsody No. 10 in E Major "Preludio", S. 244/1005:32
- 11Polonaise No. 2 in E Major, S. 223/208:28
Info for Nelson Freire plays Saint-Saëns' Piano Concerto No. 2 and Piano Works by Grieg & Liszt (Remastered)
Saint-Saëns' Second Piano Concerto with Nelson Freire under the baton of Ádám Fischer - not many pianists are able to accomplish the stylistic and technical challenges of this concerto, demanding complete precision in fingering and leaps, as well as perfect command of the "jeu perlé": Nelson Freire masters this work with great aplomb, quiet assurance and, at times, a twinkle in his eye. He is completely committed and happy to take risks, triggering veritable "Sturm und Drang", and always congenially accompanied by Ádám Fischer.
Twenty years previously, the Brazilian pianist (then aged 22) had made his German radio debut with a recital programme which he recorded at the RIAS's Lankwitz studio in Berlin. In Grieg's Lyric Pieces and the Hungarian Rhapsodies Nos 5 and 10 by Liszt, as well as his Polonaise in E major, Freire not only demonstrated his stupendous manual prowess, but also what was already at that stage his extraordinary touch and stylistic confidence. These early solo recordings anticipate his brilliant later style, completing the picture of the exceptional pianist.
All recordings on this album are released for the first time.
Nelson Freire, piano
Ádám Fische, conductor
No albums found.
No biography found.