Paul & Huw Watkins: Play American Works for Cello and Piano Paul Watkins & Huw Watkins
Subgenre: Chamber Music
Interpret: Paul Watkins & Huw Watkins
Komponist: Leonard Bernstein (1918-1990), Samuel Barber (1910-1981)
Das Album enthält Albumcover Booklet (PDF)
- Samuel Barber (1910 - 1981): Cello Sonata, Op. 6:
- 1Cello Sonata, Op. 6: I. Allegro ma non troppo07:22
- 2Cello Sonata, Op. 6: II. Adagio03:59
- 3Cello Sonata, Op. 6: III. Allegro appassionato05:41
- Leonard Bernstein (1918 - 1990): 3 Meditations from Mass (Version for Cello & Piano):
- 43 Meditations from Mass (Version for Cello & Piano): No. 1, Lento assai, molto sostenuto03:52
- 53 Meditations from Mass (Version for Cello & Piano): No. 2, Andante sostenuto03:10
- 63 Meditations from Mass (Version for Cello & Piano): No. 3, Presto06:52
- Elliott Carter (1908 - 2012): Cello Sonata:
- 7Cello Sonata: I. Moderato04:59
- 8Cello Sonata: II. Vivace, molto leggiero04:51
- 9Cello Sonata: III. Adagio05:09
- 10Cello Sonata: IV. Allegro05:55
- George Crumb (1929- ): Sonata for Solo Cello:
- 11Sonata for Solo Cello: I. Fantasia03:25
- 12Sonata for Solo Cello: II. Tema pastorale con variazioni04:52
- 13Sonata for Solo Cello: III. Toccata02:30
- Aaron Copland (1900 - 1990): Billy the Kid (Version for Cello & Piano):
- 14Billy the Kid (Version for Cello & Piano): Waltz03:44
- 15Billy the Kid (Version for Cello & Piano): Celebration02:24
Info zu Paul & Huw Watkins: Play American Works for Cello and Piano
Having explored much of twentieth-century British works for cello and piano, the Watkins brothers now turn their attention to the American contribution to this repertoire.
The music spans a fascinating period of some four decades of intensive compositional activity in the United-States. The earliest piece in the collection, Barber’s Cello Sonata (1932), was for many years considered as the only modern work in the genre. It is imbued with an intensely romantic spirit utterly different from the folk-tinged nationalism of contemporaneous music by Copland, represented here by arrangements of two numbers from his popular cowboy ballet Billy the Kid.
Carter’s highly original and technically demanding Cello Sonata and Crumb’s idiosyncratic Sonata for Solo Cello are worlds apart from the traditional vein of Barber piece. The works marked watershed moments in the stylistic development of two of the most imaginative and distinctive creative voices of their time.
Lastly, the ‘Meditations’ offer a contrast between searing melancholy and moments of jazzy dynamism, typical of Bernstein’s stylistic eclecticism.
Paul Watkins, cello
Huw Watkins, piano
Keine Biografie vorhanden.