The Voice of Rebellion Menuhin Duo
- Jeremy Menuhin (1951- ):
- 1Suite for 2 Pianos in the Baroque Manner: I. Prélude03:12
- 2Suite for 2 Pianos in the Baroque Manner: II. Fugue02:26
- 3Suite for 2 Pianos in the Baroque Manner: III. Sicilienne04:36
- 4Suite for 2 Pianos in the Baroque Manner: IV. Invention03:06
- 5Suite for 2 Pianos in the Baroque Manner: V. Sarabande05:26
- 6Suite for 2 Pianos in the Baroque Manner: VI. Gigue03:30
- 7Transformation for 2 Pianos of Slow Movement from the Brahms B-Flat Major Sextet12:04
- 8Variations on an Original Theme for 4 Hands09:20
- 9Transformation for 2 Pianos of Slow Movement from Brahms's G Major Sextet11:36
- 10Fantasy for 2 Pianos13:22
Info for The Voice of Rebellion
Mookie Lee-Menuhin and Jeremy Menuhin already proved on their debut GENUIN CD that they are a great piano duo. And now the composer Jeremy Menuhin presents himself for the first time on CD as well: The duo's new GENUIN CD exclusively features world premiere recordings. There is a baroque suite, but it plays elaborately with our expectations and listening habits, and there are "transformations" of individual movements of the two string sextets by Johannes Brahms: real ear-openers! Also, there are colorful variations on a theme and a virtuoso fantasy that unites the styles: brilliantly played, true expansions of the repertoire!
Jeremy Menuhin, piano
Mookie Lee-Menuhin, piano
"As if entirely of one mind" (Primephonic) captures the essence of every performance by the dynamic Menuhin Duo. Whether performing on two pianos or side-by-side at the same keyboard, Mookie and Jeremy play as one, interpreting the classical repertoire with devotion and joy. The unique soundscape of the two-piano literature allows the Duo great ﬂexibility of range, color and depth in their performances of works by Mozart, Brahms, Schumann, Lutosławski, Bartók, and many others.
While exploring existing literature by major composers, the Duo also incorporates music composed by Jeremy into their performances. A former student of Nadia Boulanger, Jeremy has transcribed the great chamber works of Schubert and Brahms and created original repertoire speciﬁcally suited to the Menuhin Duo.
Their sensitive, captivating performances have been heard across the globe, including appearances at the Pablo Casals Festival in France, Seoul Spring Festival in South Korea, and Gstaad Menuhin Festival in Switzerland, among others. "A vivid double-act at the piano" (Classical Source), the Menuhin Duo delights audiences with their contemporary and timeless celebration of music for piano duo.
The Duo brings a transcendent quality to classic and contemporary works alike in their performances, creating "the feeling that every note counts" (Jessica Duden). Their previous 10album Schubert–Menuhin, featuring the four-hand works of Schubert as well as Jeremy’s variations on Schubert’s String Quartet in D minor (Death and the Maiden), was released by GENUIN classics in 2016.