Bach: Erbarme dich Reinoud van Mechelen & A Nocte Temporis
- Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750)
- 1Herr Christ, der einge Gottessohn, BWV 96: III. Ach ziehe die Seele mit Seilen der Liebe07:59
- 2Herr Christ der einge Gottes Sohn, BWV 601: Choral prelude01:26
- 3Herr Christ, der einge Gottessohn, BWV 96: I. Choral Herr Christ, der einge Gottessohn00:59
- 4Jesu, der du meine Seele, BWV 78: III. Recitative Ach! Ich bin ein Kind der Sunden02:07
- 5Jesu, der du meine Seele, BWV 78: IV. Aria Das Blut so meine Schuld durchstreicht03:42
- 6Trio Sonata in G major, BWV 1039: III. Adagio e piano03:16
- 7Was willst du dich betruben, BWV 107: IV. Aria Wenn auch gleich aus der Hollen03:00
- 8Herr Gott, dich loben alle wir, BWV 130: V. Aria Lass , o Furst der Cherubinen04:53
- 9Chorale Preludes, BWV 669-689: XI. Wir glauben all an einen Gott, BWV 68005:19
- 10Was willst du dich betruben, BWV 107: VI. Aria Drum ich mich ihm ergebe03:16
- 11Partita in A Minor, BWV 1013: III. Sarabande03:33
- 12Ach, lieben Christen, seid getrost, BWV 114: II. Aria Wo wird in diesem jammertale10:27
- 13Flute Sonata in E minor, BWV 1034: III. Andante04:07
- 14Was Gott tut, das ist wohlgetan, BWV 99: III. Aria Erschuttre dich nur nicht05:56
- 15Chorale Preludes, BWV 714-765: Erbarm dich mein, o Herre Gott, BWV 72103:30
- 16Ich armer Mensch, ich Sundenknecht, BWV 55: II. Recitative Ich habe wieder Gott gehandelt01:26
- 17Ich armer Mensch, ich Sundenknecht, BWV 55: III. Aria Erbarme dich!04:57
Info for Bach: Erbarme dich
The young tenor Reinoud Van Mechelen, whose career is currently in full flower, appears as a guest soloist with today’s leading conductors of Baroque music. He has decided to devote his first solo album to a composer whom he interprets with elegance and contagious joy: Johann Sebastian Bach. The title ‘Erbarme dich’ naturally evokes for music lovers the celebrated alto aria from the St Matthew Passion; but it is also the incipit of a sorrowful, sensuous aria for tenor and flute from the Cantata BWV 55. In fact, a substantial corpus of cantatas written by the Kantor in Leipzig between 1724 and 1726 feature a close dialogue between tenor voice and flute. Bach excels in this art of discourse and enjoys underlining or contradicting the text by sketching with the flute lines full of exacerbated vocality. This art of interweaving voices attracted Reinoud Van Mechelen and the flautist Anna Besson, who have chosen, along with the organist and harpsichordist Benjamin Alard, to structure their programme around Bach arias featuring obbligato organ and traverso. This album marks the birth of the ensemble founded by Reinoud Van Mechelen, A Nocte Temporis, and the start of his collaboration with Alpha, which will extend over several years.
Reinoud Van Mechelen, tenor
Anna Besson, flauto traverso
Ronan Kernoa, violoncello barocco
Benjamin Alard, clavicembalo
A nocte temporis
Latin translation of the French expression “depuis la nuit des temps”, which means “from time immemorial”. A nod towards the past, towards what is changing, and especially also towards what remains unchanged.
After several years of activity as a soloist with conductors such as William Christie, Philippe Herreweghe, Hervé Niquet, Christophe Rousset, and many others, Reinoud Van Mechelen founds his own ensemble in 2016. His goal is to present historically informed music as well as to emotionally touch an as large audience as possible. For this purpose he surrounds himself with musicians who share this passion with him and who are ready to take up this challenge.
In 2016 he records with a nocte temporis a program dedicated to Bach arias for tenor and flute for the label Alpha Classics (Outhere). In the 16/17 season, they will present this program during concerts in many cities, including Warsaw, Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam, and Pavia.
Reinoud Van Mechelen
Since he completed his master studies in 2012 at the Conservatoire Royal in Brussels (class of Dina Grossberger), Reinoud Van Mechelen has established himself on the international stage.
In 2007 he caught attention at the Académie Baroque Européenne in Ambronay under the baton of Hervé Niquet. In 2011 he was a member of the "Jardin des Voix" of William Christie and Paul Agnew and became soon a regular soloist of Les Arts florissants. With Les Arts florissants he has performed at the Festival d'Aix-en-Provence, the Edinburgh Festival, the Château de Versailles, the Bolchoï Theatre in Moscow, the Royal Albert Hall and the Barbican Centre in London, the Palais des Beaux-Arts in Brussels, the Philharmonie in Paris, the Opéra Comique and the Brooklyn Academy of Music in New York.
At the same time he is a guest with international ensembles such as Collegium Vocale, Le Concert Spirituel, La Petite Bande, Les Talens Lyriques, Pygmalion, Le Poème Harmonique, Il Gardellino, Insula Orchestra, L’Arpeggiata, Ludus Modalis, B’Rock, Ricercar Consort, Capriccio Stravagante, Scherzi Musicali, European Union Baroque Orchestra.
In 2014 Reinoud Van Mechelen performed his first Evangelist in J.S. Bach's Johannespassionwith the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic. The season after he made his debut in a title role in an opera by Rameau, Dardanus, at the Opéra national de Bordeaux.
In 2016/17 he will be debuting at the Zürich Opera in Charpentier's Médée(Jason) under the baton of William Christie. He will go a significant way ahead in extending his repertoire performing in concert Belmonte (Die Entführung aus dem Serail) with the Orchestre de Chambre de Paris and Gérald (Lakmé) with the Orchestra of the Bavarian Radio.
Reinoud Van Mechelen has tooken part in several CD and DVD produktions. In 2016 he is recording his first solo CD for Alpha Classics (J. S. Bach Program, release scheduled in fall 2016).