Motherland Quince Ensemble
- Gilda Lyons:
- 1Bone Needles04:06
- Laura Steenberge: The 4 Winds:
- 2I. Look at the Nations and Watch03:21
- 3II. Howling like a Jackal, Moaning like an Owl02:38
- 4III. North, East, South, West01:30
- 5IV. Pneuma04:11
- 6V. Red Giant, White Dwarf02:50
- Cara Haxo: 3 Erasures:
- 7No. 1, Grime, in Between03:25
- 8No. 2, Cut Mermaid03:08
- 9No. 3, Hot Ember (A Postlude)02:29
- Jennifer Jolley: Prisoner of Conscience:
- 10I. Eve of Destruction03:45
- 11This Trial Is Highly Typical...01:02
- 12II. Virgin Mary, Put Putin Down02:27
- 13Our Sudden Musical Appearance...01:25
- 14III. Oh Bondage, up Yours!01:42
- 15Was It Art?00:47
- 16IV. Putin Will Teach You How to Love (The Motherland)02:42
- 17V. Police and Thieves03:13
- 18...All of These Things...01:44
- 19VI. Deliver Pavement02:00
- 20Pussy Riot's Performance...01:27
- 21VII. Death to Prison, Freedom to Protest02:52
- 22I Don't Want to Label Anyone...00:54
- 23VIII. Prisoner of Conscience01:52
Info for Motherland
Quince Ensemble releases their second recording on New Focus, "Motherland", featuring socially engaged works by Gilda Lyons, Laura Steenberge, Cara Haxo, and Jennifer Jolley. The contemporary vocal quartet explores a rich range of extended techniques and challenging subject matter as they continue their work in pushing the boundaries of the genre.
Singing with the precision and flexibility of modern chamber musicians, Quince Ensemble is changing the paradigm of contemporary vocal music. Described as "the Anonymous 4 of new music" by Opera News, Quince continually pushes the boundaries of vocal ensemble literature.
As dedicated advocates of new music, Quince regularly commissions new works, providing wider exposure for the music of living composers. They recently received a Chamber Music America award to commission a new song cycle by Chicago-based composer, LJ White, and will be releasing their 3rd studio album, Motherland, on New Focus Recordings in Spring 2018.
In 2016, Quince was featured on the KODY Festival Lublin, Poland in collaboration with David Lang and Beth Morrison Projects. They have also appeared on the Outpost Concert Series, the Philip Glass: Music with Friends concert at the Issue Project Room in Brooklyn, Alia Musica, and the SONiC Festival in New York. During the 2017-18 season, they will collaborate with Third Angle New Music, Philadelphia's Bowerbird, Washington University in St. Louis, MO, Lawrence University, Cornish University, Tigue, Man Forever, and Tenth Intervention.
Comprised of vocalists Liz Pearse (soprano), Kayleigh Butcher (mezzo soprano), Amanda DeBoer Bartlett (soprano), and Carrie Henneman Shaw (soprano), Quince thrives on unique musical challenges and genre-bending contemporary repertoire.