A Festival of Lessons & Carols from King's (Remastered) Choir of King's College, Cambridge & Philip Ledger
Label: Warner Classics
Album including Album cover
Dear HIGHRESAUDIO Visitor,
due to territorial constraints and also different releases dates in each country you currently can`t purchase this album. We are updating our release dates twice a week. So, please feel free to check from time-to-time, if the album is available for your country.
We suggest, that you bookmark the album and use our Short List function.
Thank you for your understanding and patience.
Yours sincerely, HIGHRESAUDIO
- Henry John Gauntlett (1805 - 1876):
- 1Gauntlett / Arr. Mann & Ledger: Irby "Once in Royal David's City"05:35
- Eric Milner-White (1884 - 1963):
- 2The Bidding Prayer03:44
- Jacobus Gallus (1550 - 1591):
- 3Gallus: Opus musicum, Liber I: Resonet in laudibus02:29
- 4First Lesson from Genesis, III01:43
- Boris Ord (1897 - 1961):
- 5Ord: Adam Lay Ybounden01:08
- 6Traditional: Sussex Carol (Arr. Ledger)02:03
- 7Second Lesson from Isaiah, IX01:08
- Ella Mary Leather (1874 - 1928) & Ralph Vaughan Williams (1872 - 1958):
- 8Vaughan Williams & Leather: 12 Traditional Carols from Herefordshire: No. 4, Joseph and Mary03:23
- 9Third Lesson from Saint Luke, I02:09
- 10Traditional / Arr. Carter: A Maiden Most Gentle02:49
- 11Fourth Lesson from Saint Luke, II01:14
- Franz Xaver Gruber (1787 - 1863):
- 12Gruber: Stille Nacht02:57
- 13Traditional / Arr. Ledger: Chester Carol02:45
- 14Fifth Lesson from Saint Luke, II02:03
- 15Traditional / Arr. Ledger: Angels from the Realm of Glory02:38
- 16Sixth Lesson from Saint Matthew, II02:36
- William Mathias (1934 - 1992):
- 17Mathias: A Babe Is Born, Op. 5503:12
- 18Seventh Lesson from Saint John, I02:01
- 19Anonymous / Arr. Ledger: O Come, All Ye Faithful (Also Attributed to Wade)04:01
- 20The Collect for Christmas Eve and the Blessing01:18
- Felix Mendelssohn (1809 - 1847) & William Hayman Cummings (1831 - 1915):
- 21Cummings & Mendelssohn: Hark! The Herald Angels Sing (After Mendelssohn's Gutenberg Cantata, WoO 9, MWV D4)03:22
- Johann Sebastian Bach (1685 - 1750):
- 22Bach: In dulci jubilo, BWV 72902:45
Info for A Festival of Lessons & Carols from King's (Remastered)
Wherever the service is heard and however it is adapted, whether the music is provided by choir or congregation, the pattern and strength of the service, as Dean Milner-White pointed out, derive from the lessons and not the music. ‘The main theme is the development of the loving purposes of God ...’ seen ‘through the windows and words of the Bible’. Local interests appear, as they do here, in the bidding prayer, and personal circumstances give point to different parts of the service. Many of those who took part in the first service must have recalled those killed in the Great War when it came to the famous passage ‘all those who rejoice with us but on another shore and in a greater light’. The centre of the service is still found by those who ‘go in heart and mind’ and who consent to follow where the story leads.
One correspondent writes that he heard the service in a tent on the foothills of Everest; another, in the desert. Many listen at home, busy about their own preparations for Christmas. Visitors from all over the world are heard to identify the Chapel as ‘the place where the Carols are sung’.
Choir of King's College, Cambridge
Philip Ledger, conductor
No biography found.
This album contains no booklet.