Songs by Eric Coates Kathryn Rudge, Christopher Glynn
- Eric Coates (1886 - 1957): 8 Nursery Rhymes:
- 18 Nursery Rhymes: No. 3, Little Boy Blue01:39
- Sleepy Lagoon:
- 2Sleepy Lagoon03:19
- 2 Symphonic Rhapsodies:
- 32 Symphonic Rhapsodies: No. 1, I Pitch My Lonely Caravan at Night (Arr. for Voice & Piano)02:02
- 42 Symphonic Rhapsodies: No. 2, Bird Songs at Eventide (Arr. for Voice & Piano)02:44
- The Scent of Lilac:
- 5The Scent of Lilac02:39
- The Fairy Tales of Ireland:
- 6The Fairy Tales of Ireland04:07
- The Mill o' Dreams:
- 7The Mill o' Dreams: No. 1, Back o' the Moon02:56
- 8The Mill o' Dreams: No. 2, Dream o' Nights01:51
- 9The Mill o' Dreams: No. 3, The Man in the Moon01:35
- 10The Mill o' Dreams: No. 4, Bluebells01:46
- Dreams of London:
- 11Dreams of London02:34
- Song of the Little Folk:
- 12Song of the Little Folk02:12
- Reuben Ranzo:
- 13Reuben Ranzo02:46
- Sea Rapture:
- 14Sea Rapture01:58
- Green Hills o'Somerset:
- 15Green Hills o'Somerset02:58
- Always as I Close My Eyes
- 16Always as I Close My Eyes02:06
- Tell Me Where Is Fancy Bred
- 17Tell Me Where Is Fancy Bred02:51
- 4 Old English Songs:
- 184 Old English Songs: No. 1, Orpheus with His Lute02:01
- 194 Old English Songs: No. 2, Under the Greenwood Tree02:36
- 204 Old English Songs: No. 3, Who Is Sylvia?01:06
- 214 Old English Songs: No. 4, It Was a Lover and His Lass02:03
- Our Little Home:
- 22Our Little Home02:54
- I Heard You Singing:
- 23I Heard You Singing02:44
- By the North Sea:
- 24By the North Sea02:12
- At Daybreak:
- 25At Daybreak01:55
- Stars and a Crescent Moon:
- 26Stars and a Crescent Moon02:13
- Rise Up and Reach the Stars:
- 27Rise Up and Reach the Stars01:43
- Homeward to You:
- 28Homeward to You02:21
Info for Songs by Eric Coates
SOMM Recordings is delighted to announce the release of star-in-the-making mezzo-soprano Kathryn Rudge’s celebration of the songs of ‘light music’ master Eric Coates, accompanied by pianist Christopher Glynn.
Fresh from rave reviews for The Hills of Dreamland (SOMMCD 271-2), a ravishing collection of Elgar’s orchestral songs, Kathryn Rudge returns with a delectable recital of era-defining songs by the composer of the stirring The Dam Busters March, exuberant Knightsbridge march and the timeless By the Sleepy Lagoon, familiar to radio audiences around the world as the theme to BBC Radio 4’s Desert Island Discs since 1942.
The dreamy reverie of that signature song, so evocative of a more innocent age, is matched here by the carefree rustic knowingness of Reuben Ranzo, the Four Old English Songs (a varied quartet of settings of Shakespeare), the affecting melancholia of The Green Hills of Somerset and the exquisite four-part song cycle The Mill o’ Dreams.
Coates belongs to an era of gentler music-making but a no less passionate and emotional one, as Rudge’s ardent singing of Sea Rapture, her beseeching approach to I Pitch My Lonely Caravan and honeyed take on The Fairy Tales of Ireland eloquently testifies to.
Kathryn Rudge has been described as “one of Britain’s brightest young mezzos” (What’s on Stage) with her voice lauded for its “tremendous reserves of power, impeccable intonation, the capacity for a gloriously sustained legato and, most interesting of all, a distinctive vocal quality” (The Times).
Christopher Glynn is fast emerging as one of the most exciting young accompanists of the day. Opera News has described him as “an exemplary partner, by turns impossibly delicate, colourfully nimble and thunderously firm”, while the Birmingham Post praised his partnering in concert of fellow SOMM artist Roderick Williams for its “reassuring authority and empathy”.
Authoritative booklet notes are provided by English music specialist Jeremy Dibble.
Kathryn Rudge, mezzo-soprano
Christopher Glynn, piano
No albums found.
No biography found.
This album contains no booklet.