Serenata mexicana Shakespeare Sinfonia & David Curtis
- Alejandro Basulto (b. 1984):
- 1Pequeña serenata ranchera13:51
- Jig Variations:
- 2Jig Variations: Theme. Gently00:45
- 3Jig Variations: Var. 1, Moderato00:51
- 4Jig Variations: Var. 2, Cumbia01:22
- 5Jig Variations: Var. 3, Son montuno01:17
- 6Jig Variations: Var. 4, Andante00:56
- 7Jig Variations: Var. 5, Reggaeton01:37
- 8Jig Variations: Var. 6, Andantino01:13
- 9Jig Variations: Var. 7, Scherzo (Huapango)01:29
- 10Jig Variations: Var. 8, Pesante01:05
- 11Jig Variations: Var. 9, Banda01:16
- 12Jig Variations: Cadenza01:07
- 13Jig Variations: Finale. Prestissimo00:20
- Arturo Márquez (b. 1950): Dibujos sobre un puerto:
- 14Dibujos sobre un puerto: I. El alba02:51
- 15Dibujos sobre un puerto: II. Elegía00:41
- 16Dibujos sobre un puerto: III. Cantarcillo02:41
- 17Dibujos sobre un puerto: IV. La tarde01:06
- 18Dibujos sobre un puerto: V. Nocturno - Oración02:51
- 19Máscaras: I. Máscara flor06:46
- 20Máscaras: II. Máscara son07:56
- 21Máscaras: III. La pasión según San Juan de Letrán06:06
- 22Máscaras: IV. La pasión según Marcos04:38
Info for Serenata mexicana
The Anglo Mexican Foundation celebrates its 75th anniversary with this programme of three of its recent commissions – from Mexican composers Alejandro Basulto and Arturo Márquez – joining the first recording of Márquez’s harp concerto Máscaras, in an album that interleaves nocturnal warmth with an infectious spirit of dancing energy.
Serenata Mexicana will be released officially in February 2019 on the Toccata Next label, a new label from Toccata Classics. The disc features music by two contemporary Mexican composers Alejandro Basulto and Arturo Marquez, performed by Morgan Szymanski (guitar), Gabriella Dall'Olio (harp), Jamie MacDougall (tenor) and the Shakespeare Sinfonia conducted by David Curtis, with two of the pieces being commissioned by Anglo Arts.
We heard David Curtis and members of the Shakespeare Sinfonia performing the final section from Alejandro Basulto's Pequena Serenata Ranchera (from 2018). As Basulto's Jig Variations (from 2016) for guitar and orchestra required forces too large for the venue, Morgan Szymanski, the Shakespeare Sinfonia and David Curtis performed the slow movement 'Nocturne' from Alec Roth's Guitar Concerto which they toured to Mexico. Hearing an extract from Basulto's serenade certainly made me look forward to hearing the complete work on the disc, and Roth's concerto had an imaginative solution to balance problems inherent in guitar concertos by having the instrument in dialogue with the strings.
is a musician with extensive experience as a professional performer, working internationally at the highest level over a career spanning forty years. David also has a proven track record as a programmer, producer, manager and fundraiser. Having established his career playing the viola with the Coull String Quartet, formed while studying at the Royal Academy of Music, in 1996 he founded Orchestra of the Swan (OOTS).
In 2005, responding to the growing success of the orchestra, he decided to focus on building OOTS into one of the leading chamber orchestras in the UK, giving an annual programme of over 40 concerts. David has toured with OOTS to Mexico, the USA, China and Turkey, and has conducted the orchestra on BBC Radio 3 & 4 and for BBC 2 (Bafta nominated) and ITV television (South Bank Show).
He was the orchestra's Artistic Director and Principal Conductor until January 2018. He also holds the position of Principal Guest Conductor of the North Hungarian Symphony Orchestra, combining this with an international career of conducting, teaching, coaching, public speaking and as a creative producer and competition judge.